Workplace Safety & OSHA Compliance
Under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) of 1970, the Town of Rocky Hill is committed to maintaining a safe and healthy workplace environment for all employees. It is the intent of this municipality to comply with all local, state, and federal regulations governing workplace safety and to develop a safety program that conforms to the best management practices available to minimize hazards and reduce the likelihood of employee injury.
The Town of Rocky Hill understands that to have an effective safety program, safety must be integrated into the daily activities of every employee. Safety is the responsibility of every employee and it is the practice of this municipality to hold all employees accountable for workplace behaviors that affect their own personal safety and health as well as the safety of coworkers.
Town Safety Committee
Connecticut General Statute § 31-40v requires each employer with twenty-five (25) or more workers, including municipalities and local public agencies, to establish and administer safety and health committees. The purpose of this legislation is to bring employers and employees together in a cooperative and effective effort to promote safety and health in the workplace.
To learn more, visit the Rocky Hill Safety Committee page.
OSHA Compliance Plans
With regard to safety and OSHA-related regulations, OSHA standards require the Town of Rocky Hill to maintain written compliance plans that address certain safety issues. The Town maintains the following written compliance plans:
- 2021 Execution of Written Compliance Programs and Plans (PDF)
- Bloodborne Pathogen and Exposure Control Program (PDF)
- Confined Space - Competent Person Program (PDF)
- Emergency Evacuation Plan (PDF)
- Hazard Communication Program (PDF)
- (Employees may access chemical inventory through the Haz Compliance portal)
- Hearing Conservation Program (PDF)
- Lockout-Tagout Program (PDF)
- PPE/Tickborne Illness Plan (PDF)
- Silica Exposure Control Plan (PDF)
Workplace Safety Training
The Town of Rocky Hill works to ensure the protection of employees and prevent work-related injuries, illnesses, and deaths by providing training, outreach, education and assistance to employees. Many OSHA standards require that the Town provide safety and health training to ensure employees have the required skills and knowledge to safely perform the essential functions of their position.
The following includes examples of classes related to workplace safety completed by employees:
- Asbestos Awareness
- Confined Space - Competent Person
- Fire Extinguisher
- Hearing Conservation
- Risk Management
- Alternate Entry of Catch Basin (PDF)
- Documentation of Lock Removal (PDF)
- Exposure Incident Form: Bloodborne Pathogens / Sharps Injury (PDF)
- Hearing Conservation Audiometric Testing Form (PDF)
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Declination Form (PDF)
- Report of Incident / Accident on Town Property or at Sponsored Activity (PDF)