Vendor / Solicitor Permits

All solicitors, hawkers, peddlers, salesmen and canvassers must obtain a permit from the Town of Rocky Hill.

Term Definitions

The terms provided are defined as follows:

Canvasser / Solicitor

A "canvasser" or "solicitor" is defined as any individual, whether resident of the Town or not, taking or attempting to take orders from anyone on the premises of a house, apartment, condominium or other place of residence for sale of goods, wares, merchandise, including articles of foot, or personal property or any nature whatsoever for future delivery, or for services to be performed in the future, whether or not such individual shall carry or expose for sale a sample of the subject of such sale, or whether he is collecting advance payments on such sale or not.

Hawker / Peddler

A "hawker" or "peddler" means any person, whether principal or agent, who goes from town to town or from place to place in the same town selling or bartering, or carrying for sale or barter or exposing therefore, any goods, wares, merchandise, including articles of food.

Itinerant Vendor

An "itinerant" vendor is defined as any person whether a principal or agent who engages in a temporary or transient business in this State, either with one locality or in traveling from place to place selling goods, wares, merchandise, or conducting any close-out sale and who for the purpose of carrying out such business or sale hires, leases, or occupies any building or structure for the exhibition and sale of such goods, wares, and merchandise, temporary or transient business meaning and including any exhibition and sale of goods, wares or merchandise which is carried on in any tent, booth, building or other structure, unless such place is open for business during usual business hours at least nine months in each year.


A "salesman" is any person who shall sell or expose for sale, or solicit orders for any articles of food, or any goods ware, merchandise, materials or services, or solicit for any contracts within the Town of Rocky Hill, to or from anyone on the premises of a house, apartment, or other place of residence, and shall include canvassers, solicitors, hawkers, peddlers and itinerant vendors as above defined.


An "organizer" is any person who employs on any basis whatsoever another person to solicit and/or canvass on his behalf or on behalf of a firm or organization that he represents.

How to Apply

Applications for this license can be obtained from the Police Department. At the time of filing the original application, a fee of $75 will be paid to the State of Connecticut for fingerprinting and a background investigation, along with a $25 application fee payable to the Police Department, which is exclusive of the Town Clerk's fee for the permit.

Once the background investigation is complete and the applicant's character and business responsibility are found to be satisfactory the Chief of Police will endorse his approval, and the application forwarded to the Town Clerk, who upon payment of the fee while issue the license.

If the permit is for a fixed location approval from the Zoning Enforcement Officer must be obtained prior to the form being forwarded to the Town Clerk. If the permit includes the sale of food, a food license must be obtained from the Central Connecticut Health District by calling 860-721-2822 prior to the application being forwarded to the Town Clerk.


Payable to the Town Clerk's Office, the fee for a vendors/solicitors permit is $10 per month or $75 per year per individual.